Friday 17 June 2011

All About Bridget Riley

For each module you have to study an artist that relates to the theme, and for me an obvious choice for the colour module was Bridget Riley, who has produced some wonderfully striking works with bold colours.  I attended an exhibition of her work at the National Gallery just a few months ago with this module in mind (Bridget Riley; Paintings and Related work) which was really inspirational and it has certainly made her works more 'real' and made researching her a lot more interesting.

I wanted to come up with a different and slighly more inventive way of presenting my work about an artist, rather than the usual couple of pages in a portfolio.  So I decided to create a consertina booklet.  (I like to make things difficult for myself!)  When I started out I had a plan of how I wanted it to look but I was a bit unsure if I was going to be able to put it into practice, and create it to a standard that I thought was good enough for C and G.    After a lot of fussing around with text size, alignment, etc. and wasting far more paper than I care to admit, I am pleased with the final result.  So here it is...

The Front - with a 'band' to hold it all together made from a copy of one of  BR's Paintings
The whole 9 yards (well almost!)
Close up of the first half 
And Close up of the second
So all in all it's not bad for a couple of days work (including looking after Freya, of course) and I am pleased that the presentation is a bit different. 

In relation to my timetable, I am already slipping a little behind but it is certainly useful to have a plan of work so that I know what to focus on next.  Which this time is finalising my research on colour, which sounds fun but it is such a HUGE topic!  Hard to narrow it down but I think I am getting there!

1 comment:

  1. Your book looks terrific Sarah. I was a bit boring and did all mine as books - I'm not that adventurous. I'd never heard of Bridget before but her work looks brilliant, so I'm off to google her now and have a look at her work. Sounds like you're getting into the swing of it all and good luck with the time schedule. Mine completely flew out the window!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment - I would love to hear from you!